Wednesday, January 30, 2008

What I Did For A Living

Over the course of my life, I did some different things to make a living. When I was twenty years old, I began a business as a bookseller. I named my bookstore the London Book Store. Unfortunately, that business would not last for long. After the battles of Lexington and Concord, I abandoned my job as a bookseller and quickly joined the army at Cambridge. For many years to come, I was a soldier who fought alongside my good friend George Washington. Later on, in 1785, I was appointed secretary of war and had that job for 11 long and arduous years. Although that was a great job, my measly salary was not good enough to support my family. After I gave up being secretary of war, I took on some other challenging jobs, such as ship-building, cattle-raising, and brick-making. I also devoted some of my time to serving my state in the General Court as well as the Governor's council. It was very fun having all of those different jobs because each of them was fun and challenging in its own way. Having many different occupations can truly prepare a man for anything that life can throw at him!

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~silversmiths/makers/silversmiths/14921_13_knoxtc.jpg

1 comment:

Ms. Sackstein said...

Your posts are so well crafted and thought out. You really took care in how the information is presented and how you wrote the post.