Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Five Interesting Facts About Myself


(I am the second person from the left.)
For anyone that does not know me too well, here are some interesting facts about myself. Once, I was almost removed from my position in charge of artillery by a Frenchman named Duconderoy. Duconderoy interviewed my good friend George Washington and then headed straight to the Congress. Washington wrote a letter to the Congress on my behalf. I will never forget what Washington wrote in that letter. "General Knox, who has deservedly acquired the character of one of the most valuable officers in the service, and who combating almost innumerable difficulties in the department he fills has placed the artillery upon a footing that does him the greatest honor; he, I am persuaded, would consider himself injured by an appointment superseding his command, and would not think at liberty to continue in the service. Should such an event take place in the present state of things, there would be too much reason to apprehend a train of ills, such as might confuse and unhinge the current department." Also, many people know that I was the first secretary of war, but do you know how and when I became the first secretary of war? I was elected secretary of war by the Congress in 1785. Then, in 1789, I was appointed secretary of war in President George Washington’s new cabinet. After many years of serving my country as secretary of war, I wrote a letter to President Washington, saying that I wanted to resign. "After having served my country nearly twenty years, the greatest portion of which under your immediate auspices, it is with extreme reluctance, that I find myself constrained to withdraw from so honorable a station. But the natural and powerful claims of a numerous family will no longer permit me to neglect their essential interest. In whatever situation I shall be, I shall recollect your confidence and kindness with all the power and purity of affection, of which a grateful heart is susceptible." A Postmaster General named Timothy Picking was appointed the new secretary of war on January 2, 1795. Being secretary of war was truly an amazing job, but the salary that I earned was not high enough to support my family.

No comments: